Position: Women, Action & The Media Volunteer Chapter Coordinator
Organization: Women, Action & The Media (WAM!)
WAM! Van is a local chapter of an international feminist non-profit, with incredible potential to transform our media landscape.You are a self-starter, an activist, a project manager or a media critic; ideally, you are a combination of all of the above. You are looking for high-impact volunteer opportunities that fit around your schedule. You want to affect social change while growing your own personal network and skills. You like autonomy, but also appreciate the benefits of working under the banner of a well-established and increasingly recognizable organization.
Mission Statement: WAM! is an independent North American non-profit dedicated to building a robust, effective, inclusive movement for gender justice in media. WAM! Vancouver is the first Canadian chapter of WAM! We operate under anti-oppression values and strive to build an accessible community in which members can share resources and engage in dialogue through our email listserv, events and social media networks. Visit https://womenactionmedia.org/chapters/vancouver/ for more information on our chapter’s recent events and campaigns.
Position Description: WAM! Vancouver’s chapter coordinators are moving on to other opportunities and are looking to mentor 2-4 dedicated individuals to take over the running of the chapter, with support from WAM!’s central office in Boston.
As chapter coordinators you would jointly be responsible for administering our email listserv, managing our Facebook and Twitter accounts, updating our chapter website, and responding to chapter email. In consultation with WAM!’s central office, you will plan and hold events and/or campaigns related to WAM!’s mission and core values throughout the year.
For example, in the past, WAM! Vancouver has held an annual conference on women in the media, organized public workshops to build media skills, put together toolkits to help reporters improve media coverage of women in politics and sexual assault, and held social events like outings to feminist movies or live theatre.
We have also partnered with organizations like Hollaback!, Media Democracy Days, rabble.ca, Women Transforming Cities, and the DOXA Documentary Film Festival on our shared missions and mandates.
Skills & Experience:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to self-motivate
- Critical understanding of, and commitment to feminist and anti-oppression values
- Working knowledge of Facebook and Twitter
- Familiarity with WordPress an asset
Benefits & Recognition:
- Gain new skills and build networks while playing an integral role in promoting gender justice in the media.
- Opportunity to act as a spokesperson for our WAM! chapter in media and at events.
Deliverables & Duties:
Jointly with the other coordinators, you would be expected to:
- Manage the WAM! Vancouver email listserv, including processing new applications and monitoring conversation
- Manage the WAM! Vancouver Facebook page and Twitter account
- Keep the WAM! Vancouver chapter page (https://womenactionmedia.org/chapters/vancouver/) up to date
- With support from WAM!’s central office in Boston, brainstorm, plan and hold events and/or campaigns related to WAM!’s mission and values.
- Regular access to a computer and the internet
Number of Volunteers Required: 2-4
Approximate Position Start Date: Mid-August, 2015
Approximate Position End Date: Ongoing
Time Commitment: 2-5 hours per week; varies depending on what kinds of events you choose to organize.
Time and Day of Volunteer Engagement: Flexible
Work Location: Most of our work occurs online or at events at accessible locations around Vancouver.
Women of colour, Aboriginal women and trans* women are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information or to apply please contact Natalie Hill and Jarrah Hodge at email@example.com. Applications must be received by July 31 at 5:00 p.m.